Saturday 11 October 2014

We pay attention to what is actually said

My work is getting very keen on Health and Safety.  I read a notice saying:

"If you see a fire extinguisher propping open a fire door, remove yourself".

I read this as telling me to remove myself from the building!  

It took me some considerable seconds to figure out that the intended meaning is "remove the fire extinguisher".

Apparently NTs would have understood the real meaning instantly - their first impression is the coherent meaning.  Whereas ours is what is actually said.

2 comments:

  1. Loosely connected...but just as funny :-).
    I DO NOT allow swearing.
    So Liam kept referencing 'bumnick' which he had been taught at school.
    Turns out he meant arsenic...but was sure that arse was a bad word :-) ;-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg when I read that I thought it meant the same thing. Get out. Lol

    ReplyDelete